Both of these bikes fit me perfectly. They are fun to ride, durable and comfortable on long rides whether on paved or unpaved roads. I maintain this page mostly for quick access to each bikes’ specifications in case I need to order parts.
Surly Long Haul Trucker – 54cm – 2008
Purchased new from Larry @ Oly Bikes in 2011, the LHT felt great straight out of the box. It’s a solid bike. For a while I added a Burley trailer bike system and towed Leo around town and even on some overnight camping trips. I’ve since dumped the largest chain ring and added proper luggage racks. I’ve got a few sets of Orlieb panniers and am hoping to get some overnight camping trips in.
- Tubing: 100% Surly 4130 CroMoly steel. Main triangle double-butted. TIG-welded
- Wheel size: 26″ Rear dropouts: Vertical, 135mm spaced
- Brake compatibility: Linear-pull or traditional cantilever
- Seatpost diameter: 27.2mm / Seatpost clamp diameter: 30mm
- Sugino XD600 crankset w/ 26×36 chain rings.
- Headset: 1-1/8″ threadless
- Front Derailleur Clamp Diameter: 28.6mm
- Bottom bracket shell: 68 x 110mm, 1.37 x 24t
- Chainring clearance: 42/53t double, 38/52/56t triple (max. tooth size)
- Fork: 4130 CroMoly, lugged and brazed, tapered curved blades with lowrider rack eyelets
- Alex Adventurer wheels / 36h
- Color: Olive Green
- Tubus Cargo / Duo racks
- 30mm Seatpost Clamp diameter
- Brooks saddle
- Weight: 58cm frame = 5.15 lbs (2.34 kg) Fork – uncut = 2.25 lbs (1.02 kg)
Rawland rSogn – 2011
The Rawland company was founded in 2007 by Sean and Anna Virnig in Minnesota, and they were among the very first to build all-road bikes around the revived 650B wheel size. The “rSogn” is a second-gen “reissue” of the original “Sogn” model, a production randonneuring frameset with low-trail geometry that accommodates wide tires. The Rawland rSogn (arr-so-gan) bicycle frame was designed by committee on the manufacturer’s blog.
It’s a responsive bike that has no problem carrying weight over the front wheel.
- Headset: 1-1/8″
- Seatpost: 27.2
- Front derailleur clamp diameter: 28.6
- Rear hub spacing: 132.5
- Bottom Bracket: 68mm English
- Size: M
- Wheels: Velocity Synergy 650B / 27.5″ / 480g / 23mm wide
- B.S.D. 584 / E.R.D. 565
- VO Crankset w/ 28t inner / 165mm / 24×36
- VO leather touring saddle
- Swift Industries Ozette front bag / ?? saddle bag